Thursday, May 21, 2009

Updates updates

We waited by the window, a yellow card in hand, looking intently and waiting patiently as the longer hand of the clock reluctantly arched its way into the big bold line on the uppermost of the circle. '”Okay, its five already!” The man on the front of the line exclaimed, and excitedly punched his card through. One by one, we watched as the machine efficiently rolled our yellow cards into its stomach before spilling it out again with the time we clocked out printed neatly on it. In black ink. One minute early, it will be red.


The definitive picture of a government servant.

I had now reverted back into the normal 8-5 work life routine. For this week and the next, I am located in the Radiotherapy Unit Pharmacy (RTU). It is a satellite pharmacy catering for four wards: Palliative Care, Ambulatory, Male RTU and Female RTU; as well as an outpatient chemo day care centre and clinic.

It was a pretty relaxing station compared to the market that is outpatient pharmacy. There is nothing much to do, besides filling medications and checking that the filled medicines are correct. I have all the time in the world to recheck everything before dispensing or taking the drugs to the chemo room as there are no impatient patients at all. Besides a wrong drug or dose will have severe consequences here.

Hence for the past few days,I had been dealing with a lot of expensive and dangerous drugs, Since it was so specialised, it had provided me a good chance to refresh my memory on all things about cancer. It was indeed fascinating to see the regimens and drugs we had learnt in practice.

Something different about pre-registration here compared to Australia is that we can do the final checking and dispensing of the drug. In fact I spent the whole of yesterday morning checking and dispensing drugs by myself as the only RTU pharmacist went off somewhere to work. It felt like being a real pharmacist-in-charge.

Anyway, am glad that it will be Friday tomorrow. Will be going for a Continuous Medical Education (CME) talk from 7.45am-8.45am before starting work at 8.45am. Will also have a long lunch break from 11.45am to 2.15pm tomorrow, and a 30 minutes morning tea in between 8.45am – 11.45am. So essentially will only be working for 2 and a half hours in the morning. And 1 and a half hour in the afternoon. as will be attending presentation from 2.30 to 3.30pm. So grand total of work hours is only FOUR.  I love Fridays. And till now, I am still loving my job as a pharmacist.


Galahad said...

glad that u enjoy the layback work atmosphere. how's your research project?

changyang1230 said...

Haha is that the punching card machine you were taking picture with?

Keat-Ying said...

Hi Boon Phiaw!!!
I'm so looking forward to working! hahaha.....
it's interesting to read ur work experience...=)