Tuesday, January 06, 2009

On a wing and a prayer

At 1540 hrs today, I will board a MAS flight into the unknown.

After spending four years in Melbourne, it is time to go home and serve the citizens of Malaysia.

23 February 2005, I reached Melbourne full of enthusiasm and youthful exuberance, cherishing my good fortune landing a chance to study overseas. I still remember walking around the perimeter of Melbourne cemetery the next day where Yong Chin exclaimed "Can you believe it? We are actually here!"

Can you believe it? At this moment, I am leaving Melbourne for good. Gosh, four years seems so long but was actually quite short. A lot of friends asked me "you will come back here right?" To tell the truth I don't know. I would like to, but the thought of moving my butt and shifting my belongings are enough to make me think twice. Or Thrice.

One friend said "I always thought you have a long term goal on what to achieve in life." But the fact is, I don't. I am still searching and wondering what to do with my post-Uni life. Failure to plan equals planning to fail? Hopefully that doesn't apply to me.

Most of my peers had already commenced their trainee-ship year, putting their knowledge to good use and learning more stuffs. It's so ironic that they have a job before officially graduating whereas I am still as free as a bird after going through the whole ceremony.  I will only be starting the process of applying for a pharmacy job in Malaysia when I got back. God knows when will I officially get a job and where I would be sent. Will it be weeks or months? Hopefully inefficiency had been stamped out in Malaysia. 

But in the short term, There are also so many things to do, so many things to readjust and relearn. Like learning to speak and write in Malay and Chinese after four years of neglect. I don't want the only thing I can say to Malay patients are: "Satu hari makan dua biji. Tak makan, mati, makan banyak, juga mati." And also refreshing my memories of all the Pharmacy info I should know to do justice to the Certificate I so painstakingly earned.

But whatever the future holds, the fact remains that a Bachelor of Pharmacy degree supposedly open doors to a bright and secure future. And that I fervently pray, is the truth.

In the meantime, to everyone in Melbourne whom I had met, thank you for the memories.

3 comments:

changyang1230 said...

Hmmm, just what was I doing four years ago to justify not joining you guys for the cemetery trip?

Now that it's time to leave the city, I can only how emotional the experience must be. In fact as I am writing from KL now, I could empathise the blue feeling of leaving a place we called second home for so long. Not to mention the people we formed bonds with.

You must have reached home as you read this. I wish you good homecoming, and I shall continue to share your stories, no longer as a housemate but always as a friend.

changyang1230 said...

I can only *wonder*

Unknown said...

One friend said "I always thought you have a long term goal on what to achieve in life." sorry was that me? the real world's full of uncertainty though, dont you worry, as long as you continue to hold that passion, and continue to work towards it, you will only continue to rise. and im quite confident about that.

"God knows when will I officially get a job and where I would be sent. Will it be weeks or months? Hopefully inefficiency had been stamped out in Malaysia." --- don't worry, everyone gets a job, isnt that your personal philosophy? :P