Monday, June 18, 2007

8.05 a.m. today

8.05 a.m.

On my way to my exam venue, from the backseat of a car I'm travelling in, a blue neon sign captured my attention while I'm scanning my Clinical Pharmacy lecture notes.

"Barcode" it read.

I wondered about it for a moment, not sure why my attention lingers on it. Had I seen the sign before somewhere? This is not a part of the city which I frequent. Sure, I had past this street four times in the last 2 weeks to get to exams but had never noticed it. Nevertheless, the neon sign swirled around in my memory for a good few minutes.

It was like COPD... asthma... cough... barcode?

Whatever. I shrugged it off. I have an impending exam to worry about.

Flash forward 7 hours later.

I was enjoying a meal at Hungry Jacks, after finishing the toughest paper in the exam with relative ease when Woon Pang called. He said: "There is a killer at loose in the city. Are you still there?"

Truth to be told, I'm more interested then scared.

Spying the free Mx newspapers stand just outside Hungry Jacks, I sprinted out and grabbed a copy.

The frontpage reads: "Killer on run." Interesting, I thought.

Then I read these sentence and my blood went cold.

"The horror began early today when the gunman and the woman argued at the
barcode nightclub."

"About 8.15 a.m., she was dragged from a taxi by her hair during an argument with the gunman."

"Three bystanders - two men and a woman - went to her aid. The gunman then coolly opened fire, shooting the three good samaritan before walking away."

I'm just 10 minutes away -or maybe less than that, from being involved in a horrendous crime scene.

Such a close shave.

Then the event this morning wedged itself into my conscious mind. How the blue Barcode signage flagged itself into my attention. Is it a premonition that something bad will happen? Geez.. maybe I now process the sixth sense.

Shivers. Lucky I cannot get any colder because it is already very cold out there.

For latest updates of the incident, please visit Herald Sun. It is all over the news. At the time of writing, one of the man had died. The killer is still at large but the weapon had been found.

Condolences to the deceased good samaritan's family. And I definitely hope that the otehr two seriously wounded person are ok. And I'm also very touched by Woon Pang's call. Thanks a lot!

To finish it with a haiku:

Cold Monday morning
Exams send chills down my spine
Murder even so.

P/s: glad to see Chang Yang picking up my haiku craze.

No comments: