Sunday, June 10, 2007

Of Haiku and Honku

An article in the Herald Sun caught my eyes today.

Seems that using your creative senses to write haiku, the modern Japanese poetry can generate physical, mental and emotional benefits similar to those offered by yoga, meditation and other holistic therapies. Physically, they can reduce stress and blood pressure, therefore result in better prognosis of diseases. Psychologically, they can help people through periods of darkness and despair or mid life crisis.

The article centred on a particular person, who had used haiku to dissipate his anger at those people honking just below his apartment daily. It was a very inspiring story of how his resolve of no turning to physical anger leads to a state wide movement that actually reduces the amount of honking. You can read the story at honku.

After reading this article, I think I gonna write a haiku everyday to reap the alledged benefits. Writing haiku is so simple... definately simpler than doing sudoku to improve my brain.

In 3 mins I can come up with this simple haiku following the 5-7-5 syllable rule.

damn micrology
no matter how i study
still cannot go in.

I know it is a no-brainer, but it is a haiku.

Damn. Reminds me, I am having an exam tomoro. On micro.

1 comment:

changyang1230 said...

Good luck for your micro! :) You gave me some great inspirations for haiku writing, next time I'm going to end some of my blog posts with haiku. :P