Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Life Inc

The final year of Uni is the time when you suddenly realised that there is still so much left to do. During the first three years, the mood had been relaxed - the belief is that there is still more time. I always heard about people saying: "Life is short. Enjoy it. " But I always see a long future in front of me. I am a master of procrastination, a guru of "There's still time". But now, on the throes of graduation, there's this sudden urge to fill in the many gaps in the memory bank called Uni life.

It had been a busy fortnight or so in my final year of Uni - I had been trying to do a lot of things that should be done long time ago. I now live on the maxim that "it's now or never" - akin to a man on a death sentence. I joined in things I would never had thought about, I did things that I would usually think twice about and it has been a very eye-opening and quite rewarding experience.

Even though I still haven't worked out on my future plans, I found out the joy of living in the moment. The joy of cherishing your friends and friendship now because you may never see them again after next year. The fun of meeting people because everyone is unique and interesting. The satisfaction of giving back to society. The thrill of learning new things.

It's with this I often like to tell people, go out and try new stuffs. Test your extreme. We are often limited by ourselves. We are in fact more capable then we think. Instead of saying "I can't do it because of that" why not "How can I do both?" After deciding to live like a man on a death sentence, I am surprised by what I can do, and the options that are open to me. Now or never. Better do it or regret for the rest of my life.

I sincerely hope that you who read my blog take a few moment to think of what you would like to do if you found out that you have only 6 months to live. Then live your life as if this is true. This posting is inspired by an episode of Oprah I saw earlier this year. On it, a professor who has terminal cancer gave his last lecture. And it is on life and living out all his childhood dreams. It was so touching that I really felt like crying after watching it.

Live life to the fullest. Enjoy the journey - the scenary and the bumps.

No comments: