Wednesday, September 24, 2008

A little bit of gratitude

I'm unabashedly a guy who find it very hard to express my feelings of gratitude, particularly to someone I didn't really know.

Deep down I sincerely wanted to say "thank you", but somehow have difficulty forming the actual words in my mouth. More often than not, it was left unsaid. And I usually live to regret it.

Today, I had a hair cut. The girl cutting my hair was very meticulous. She trimmed my hair down a bit, combed it through, checked the length and re-trimmed it. She massaged my head while washing my hair too, then spent 5 minutes gelling it. This was in contrast with some other hairdresser who simply just cut-and-go.  Anyway the point is, she did a very good job.

So I said to myself, I had to praise her, no matter what. Even though 90% of the haircut was done in silence.

It went something like this:

"What's your name?" (Lame I know, I knew her name, but I really have no idea how to start)

"Alysha."

"Well Alysha, I like this haircut very much, and I think you are very good. Thank you."

And then came the million dollar moment. Her face immediately lit up.  She clasped her hands together and there's a big smile pasted on her face.

"Oh thank you very much!"

Hopefully it made her day. But what I knew for sure was that it made my day. I never realised that doing something so simple can have such a profound effect on two people.

Guess we never stop learning in this world.

P/s: By the way, found this excellent and meaningful website via a blurb in The Age. Free Rice gives twenty grains of rice for every vocab questions you answer correctly. Nice time filler when you are waiting for people to write their replies while MSN-ing.

No comments: