Sunday, October 14, 2007

Experience

It had been a long time since I read a book and be truly amazed by the author's ability.

And this author is so good that I dare say that she is probably one of the best writer in the world right now.

Usually, I define a good book as one that you can't help but turn page after page to finish the story as fast as possible. Books treated this way by me include those by JK Rowling, Sidney Sheldon, Jeffrey Archer and Agatha Christie.

But now I discovered that there is a higher state for book appreciation - a book where you feel obliged not wanting to finish so quickly because the journey of reading the book is so tantalizingly amazing.

That's what I feel when reading Jodi Picoult's book My Sister's Keeper. I'm only half way through it and is already enthralled by it. So much that I felt compelled to mention it here in this blog.

She had such a way of viewing the world, such vivid imagination, such a refreshing style of describing things.

Oh, how I wish I can write as good as her.

It had always been one of my dreams to write a novel sometime before I am out of university. I had some story leads but didn't really carry on with it.

I always read what I write and found that it is too superficial, too childish and just not interesting enough. I felt that there is an element of worldliness that is sorely lacking. That is, I found my story does not feel real enough. Unfortunately, I think that this is an element that can be derived only from experience. For example, like you need to smoke a cigarette to know how it feels like before incoporating it in a story.

Sometimes I really felt that something big or life changing had to happen to me before I can write a story. Life have been too good to be for now. Plain smooth sailing. I know I should be thankful for that, but well..

It is time to try some new things.

Some new adult things in the adult world and not just like join new clubs and activities in the safe confinement of University.

There's such a limit of what you can learn by reading or studying.

I need more worldly experience. Then perhaps I can write a best-seller in the near future.

P/s: After I had my placement, I truly understand why all those employers want "experienced" people when setting up a vacancy sign. There are just so many things that you can only learn via experiencing it. I would do likewise if I'm in their shoes. The real working world makes uni world look like a children's playground.

No comments: