Saturday, May 13, 2006

A dream realised

Dream and Dancing

梦想成真

In one of my earliest posts, I mentioned that one of the reasons I started this blog is to 'chronicle my evolution into a better person'. I wrote about taking the first step in everything is always difficult and it is inevitably the hurdle where most people falter. A few posts later, I mused about my desire to learn dancing.

Now I am proud to announce to the world that I had in fact, accomplished something that I always yearned to do but did not do: learning how to dance. I had recently finished a 4-week course on Hip-hop dancing. Even though I exited the course with only marginal improvement in my non-existent dancing skills; the whole process was very enjoyable and I really had fun.

I'm proud of myself becoz I had climbed the difficult first step. In the past, I always have grand dreams about learning new things but did not actually try to realise them. Now everything is very different. In half a year since I had written all those posts in October, I had now learnt how to dance, play the guitar and swim. Besides, I had also improved my stamina, now being able to jog for 4-5 km without feeling tired. I'm now living my dream, and it felt wonderful.

Martin Luther King was infamous for his "I have a dream..." speech. However, his dream, till today remained unrealised. I dare say I had gone one step further than him, even though the magnitude of our dreams are different. I had a dream, but at least I had achieved it.


I leave you with a quote by Oscar Wilde (poet, author, novelist, dramatist)
"The supreme object of life is to live. Few people live. It is true life only to realize one's own prefection, to make one's every dream a reality."

That's what I live for.

No comments: