Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Of Kindness

天下有乞丐,是因为人们允许他猖獗。

I believe there are beggars in the world because people allow them to live that kind of life. There are perhaps no misplaced kindness greater then giving coins to the road-side beggars. Even though I felt a twinge of guilt sometimes by not donating some money to them, I stood resolute by my belief. I concurred that kindness somehow will impede our innate ability to find a way out of every difficulties, and hence make us weak.

However, it is not that I am totally against showing kindness to people; it depends on the circumstances of the situation. A little kindness is good, it is what make us human, but too much will only spoil the person at the receiving end. In the end, we will be the guilty party in causing the downfall of that person, stunting his/her inner growth to be an independent, resourceful person. Thus, our effort have a paradoxical effect that is the direct opposite of our intention.

Sometimes we live under the kindness of others without really knowing it. We took them and their kind-heartedness for granted until it became a habit. We let them help us, and seek them for help when we faced the same problems. We never venture to solve the problems ourselves and became almost despondent on their charity. So my beloved reader, I bide you to sit back and ponder for a while.. had you been so accustomed to someone always being at you side and helping you that you had became complacent? If yes, it is time to wake up from your deep slumber...

P/S: this blog is not intended to be a surreptitious swipe towards anyone, it is purely my opinion and my opinion only. I am not sure what spurred me to write this post, perhaps an overworked brain, but I write this off the cuff. If you are 'stinged' by this post, I would like to apologize but I would also hope that you do a little bit of reflection...

2 comments:

Wee Loon ONG said...

where is the 'love story in harvard' post u promise to talk about in your previous post... ??

vseehua said...

somehow he had forgotten about it...mwahahaha,...